May 04, 2020

My First Solo Trip (Part II) - KAMIKOCHI TAISHO POND


Kamikochi is a popular resort in the Northern Japan Alps of Nagano Prefecture, offering some of Japan's most spectacular mountain scenery. It's only open from mid/late April until mid-November so I guess I was lucky to choose to go there in May, the weather is perfect!

I took bus from Shinjuku to Kamikochi and the journey took about 5 hours. There's only 2 timings everyday (7.15am & 10.15pm) from Shinjuku to Kamikochi Bus Terminal so make sure you arrange your time wisely and book the bus ticket in advanced. I took the day bus which is at 7.15am and reach Kamikochi Bus Terminal around 12.15pm. You really need to plan your itinerary and timing  properly as transportation at Kamikochi is quite limited. The last bus timing at Kamikochi Bus Terminal is around 5-6pm, so please make sure you book your bus ticket before you started trekking or sightseeing.


There's 4 popular spots to sightseeing/trekking in Kamikochi which is Tashiro Pond, Taisho Pond, Kappa Bridge and Myojin Bridge. Out of these 4 spots, the nearest one will be the Kappa Bridge which is the most popular spot with lots of tourists as it's just few mins walking distance from Kamikochi Bus Terminal. I decided to go Taishiro Pond and Taisho Pond on my first day at Kamikochi. You can refer to the trekking route via this website.

I stored my luggage at the baggage room at Kamikochi Bus Terminal before I started my trekking, please note that the baggage storage only available until 5pm everyday and they don't allow overnight storage. There's so much to see along the way and I'm really amazed by the view and the fresh air there! The trekking route is really well organised and the signboard is also very clear, no worries of losing your way. Met some monkeys along the way and I was actually quite afraid of them, told myself to keep calm and keep walking without having eye contacts with them hahaha! Taisho Pond is so so so pretty and the good thing is there's literally no one there, hahaha! If you only have time to visit one place at Kamikochi, I will definitely recommend you to follow the route that I have highlighted in the map below! You won't regret it! ;)

IMPORTANT TIPS: There's 2 route to get to Taisho Pond which is Forest Course and Azusa-gawa River Course. I strongly suggest you to try 2 different routes when you trek to and fro. Forest Course is the one that consist of wooden trail and Azusa-gawa River Course is where you can see the amazing Azusa-gawa river which blow me away with its breathtaking view.


Transportation:
Shinjuku to Kamikochi: http://willerexpress.com/en/
Bus to get around at Kamikochi: Alpico Bus

Accommodation:
Okuhida Yakushi No Yu Honjin (奥飛騨薬師のゆ 本陣)
-This onsen hotel is the most luxurious stay in my trip, hahaha!! I stayed at the Japanese Standard Family Room (it's the smallest room already, lol).

Meal:
Bought a really big sweet potato for my breakfast and snacks on the bus to Kamikochi. Dinner is at this cosy small homestyle restaurant うな亭 which sells unagi don! Chanced upon this place at Google Map and decided to give it a try, by far the best unagi don I've eaten in my life!


To Be Continued...

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature